An inequality is a statement that uses one of the following symbols:
- = equal to
- ≠ not equal to
- ≅ approximately equal to
- > greater than
- ≥ greater than or equal to
- < less than
- ≤ less than or equal to
Inequalities are manipulated algebraically the same way as equations with one exception: Multiplying or dividing both sides of an inequality by a negative number reverses the inequality sign.
Properties of Positive & Negative Numbers
- The product of positive numbers is positive.
- The product of a positive number and a negative number is negative.
- The product of an even number of negative numbers is positive.
- The product of an odd number of negative numbers is negative.
- The sum of negative numbers is negative.
If x < y and y < z, then x < z
Addition of Like Inequalities
If x < y and w < z, then x+w < y+z